Chilman Projects was contacted by The Holy Spirit Home in Carseldine to tender for the House raising and renovation of the new sisters quarters.
The scope of work included:
- Complete the demolition of the existing home.
- Remove internal walls and replace with steel beams to open up the living areas.
- Replace all exterior timber joinery with new.
- Extend the western wall out and add a timber deck and stairs to the front.
- Provide a new timber staircase and landing to the eastern entrance.
- Building under of the existing home to provide two self contained units and an archive area.
- Connect all services to the new home.
Issues and Solutions
The house raising crew move the existing home to it’s new location and lift the building to the appropriate height.
Most of the demolition has been completed but some internal walls need to be removed and replaced with beams to open up the living areas.
With the structural steel in place the footings and slabs can be poured so we can start framing.
Once all the plumbing and electrical services are in their exact locations and the plumbing and footing inspections have been passed, the house slab and patios can be poured.
The western wall was extended out by 1.2m to make room for the living room extension and the downstairs toilets and bathroom. Beams were installed to open up the living areas and support the roof load.
The large laminated hardwood decking posts can be seen erected here. These had to be meticulously placed so that our handmade hardwood staircase would fit. The gallery below shows just how well our guys did with getting this perfect.
With the framing stage nearing completion the new home is starting to take shape.
The western extension is clad in fibre cement sheeting with trims and the original home and most of the ground floor is in original weatherboard.
Half of the joinery was in timber with the other half in powdercoated aluminium joinery. The timber entry doors and bi-folds were stained to match the decking hardwood.
Once the exterior cladding’s are completed it is time to build the window hoods and complete the balustrades.
With the painting and landscaping complete the finished home sits proud in it’s new location.